PARENTS & STUDENTS
The money is out there for Post-Secondary, however, it takes time and effort to apply, write the letters, and most of all, research! From a Counsellor point of view, the grade 12s are a very busy group. They have diploma courses, extra-curricular activities, and their "futures" to worry about. Parents often ask "what can I do to help?" I would like to suggest that assistance with scholarship applications would help them (and you) financially! They should put together a list of their volunteer efforts over the years along with extra-curricular accomplishments. This will be given to their teachers for their reference letters. They should be researching on any of the below sites. Any scholarship has a "due date", put scholarship applications in order of these dates and put it on the calendar or they will forget to apply! My shortlist of scholarships is as follows:
- RAP, $1000, June
- PREMIER'S CITIZENSHIP, May
- RUTHERFORD, $300-$2500, June
- MARVEL, $1000, July
- MODERN WOODMAN (Highest Math 30-1) $300
- AUDREY K. BEVRIDGE MEMORIAL AWARD (Highest English 30-1) $300
- LIONS CITIZENSHIP, $1000, May
- LIONS TOP SOCIAL 30-2/ENGLISH 30-2, $500
- MOUNTAIN VIEW CREDIT UNION LEARN & EARN (Matches savings) - June
- MOUNTAIN VIEW COUNTY, $500, March
- ATA (children of teachers in Chinooksedge), $250, September
- CREMONA LIBRARY SANDRA HERBERT SCHOLARSHIP
What Scholarships and Bursaries are out There?
You can explore a diversity of awards (scholarships and bursaries) available to supplement funding of your post-secondary education through the following four databases:
- Alberta Scholarship Programs – lists awards that are administered by Alberta Scholarship Programs. Search alphabetically, by keyword or by audience.
- Scholarship Connections – lists awards that are administered by various organizations. Search by keyword, deadline or category.
- Post-Secondary Institutions Scholarships – lists awards that are administered by specific post-secondary institutions in Alberta. Search by post-secondary institution.
- Academic Invest – lists grants, scholarships, bursaries and employment listings for students and new graduates.
Rupertsland Institute Metis Centre of Excellance Awards
The Belcourt Brosseau Metis Awards